donate to Beginner's Mind
Beginner's Mind Zen Center is supported and sustained by donations from people like you. Donations of any amount help maintain the zendo, zafus, zabutons, incense and other miscellaneous expenses that allow the sangha to gather at the center.
click one of these buttons to make a donation now...
|$10.00||$25.00||$50.00|| a custom
If you're contributing to our 2014 Zendo Expansion Project, please make a note of that in the "+ Add special instructions to the seller" option during PayPal checkout. Thank you!
Beginner's Mind Zen Center is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization, making your contributions tax-deductible to the extent allowable under Internal Revenue Code Section 170.
For sesshins (multiple-day retreats), we request attendees pay a small fee to defray the expenses for service supplies, teas, and the meals that are prepared and served. (Frequently, sesshin scholarships are available for those who need assistance; contact the teachers if you are interested in a scholarship for a sesshin. Contributions towards scholarships are always appreciated.)
- If attending only one day of a 2-day sesshin or less than a full 5-day sesshin, each day is typically $25 for members and $35 for non-members. (This fee does not include Oryoki rental; see below.)
- 2-day sesshin fee (covering both days of a 2-day sesshin; Breakfast Sat. and Sun.; Lunch Sat. and Sun.; Dinner Sat. only) is typically $40 for members and $50 for non-members. Some 2-day sesshins may be more or less, depending on the schedule used for the sesshin. (This fee does not include Oryoki rental; see below.)
- Fees for other sesshins longer than 2 days are published prior to the sesshin.
- In addition to helping to cover zendo and practice supplies and expenses (incense, flowers, utilities, cleaning supplies, etc.), fees for sesshins cover meals that are served during your attendance. There is a breakfast, morning tea, lunch, afternoon tea and dinner provided.
- Oryoki set rental during a sesshin is $5 per retreat (not per day).
For zazenkais (single-day retreats), we request attendees pay a small fee to defray the expenses for service supplies, teas, and any meals that are prepared and served.
- For zazenkais, fees are $15 for members and $25 for non-members.
- In addition to helping to cover zendo and practice supplies and expenses (incense, flowers, utilities, cleaning supplies, etc.), fees for zazenkais cover the cost of tea and snacks served during the day's two teas.
- Typically, the only meal during a zazenkai is lunch: please check in the announcements or calendar entry for the zazenkai to see whether or not a lunch will be provided. If lunch will not be provided, or if you'd prefer, you can bring a vegetarian lunch with you that does not require preparation. If you can, please bring a cooler or insulated container as refrigerator space is limited.
Subscribe to our emails to receive announcements regarding sesshins and zazenkais, including specific fee amounts and any scholarships that are available to cover fees for those who need assistance.
- You may pay sesshin, oryoki and zazenkai fees using the "custom amount" PayPal link (above); just be sure to use the "+ Add special instructions to the seller" feature during the PayPal process, indicating that your payment is not a general donation, but is specifically for retreat fees.
- Alternatively, you may pay sesshin, oryoki and zazenkai fees by cash or check (made payable to "Beginner's Mind Zen Center"). Bring your payment with you to the retreat, placing it in the donation box (please, enclose your payment in an envelope and mark the envelope with your name and the purpose).