donate to Beginner's Mind
Beginner's Mind Zen Center is supported and sustained by donations from people like you. Donations of any amount help maintain the zendo, zafus, zabutons, incense and other miscellaneous expenses that allow the sangha to gather at the center.
click one of these buttons to make a donation now...
|$10.00||$25.00||$50.00|| a custom
Beginner's Mind Zen Center is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization, making your contributions tax-deductible to the extent allowable under Internal Revenue Code Section 170.
fees for retreats
For sesshins (multiple-day retreats) and zazenkais (single-day retreats), we request attendees pay a small fee to defray the expenses for service supplies, teas, and any meals that are prepared and served. (Frequently, sesshin scholarships are available for those who need assistance; contact the teachers if you are interested in a scholarship for a sesshin.)
- 2-day sesshin fee (covering both days of the sesshin) is $25 for members and $35 for non-members. (This fee does not include Oryoki rental; see below.)
- If attending only one day of a sesshin, each day is $15 for members and $25 for non-members. (This fee does not include Oryoki rental; see below.)
- Fees for sesshins longer than 2 days are published prior to the sesshin.
- In addition to helping to cover zendo and practice supplies and expenses (incense, flowers, utilities, cleaning supplies, etc.), fees for sesshins cover meals that are served during your attendance. There is a breakfast, morning tea, lunch, afternoon tea and dinner provided.
- Oryoki set rental during sesshin is $5 per retreat (not per day).
- For zazenkais, fees are $15 for members and $25 for non-members.
- In addition to helping to cover zendo and practice supplies and expenses (incense, flowers, utilities, cleaning supplies, etc.), fees for zazenkais cover the cost of tea and snacks served during the day's two teas. (The only meal during a zazenkai is typically lunch: if you plan to be in attendance during the lunch period, please bring a vegetarian lunch with you that does not require preparation. If you can, please bring a cooler or insulated container as refrigerator space is limited.)
Subscribe to our emails to receive announcements regarding sesshins and zazenkais, including specific fee amounts and any scholarships that are available to cover fees for those who need assistance.
- You may pay sesshin, oryoki and zazenkai fees using the "custom amount" PayPal link (above); just be sure to use the "Add special instructions..." link/feature, and indicate in the comments/notes box during the PayPal process that your payment is not a donation, but is for retreat fees.
- Alternatively, you may pay sesshin, oryoki and zazenkai fees by cash or check (made payable to "Beginner's Mind Zen Center"). Bring your payment with you to the retreat, placing it in the donation box (please, enclose your payment in an envelope and mark the envelope with your name and the purpose).